Monday, July 21, 2014
Arnica Fire was made using raw edge appliqué', the stems are melted felt, and over the entire piece I put netting to make it look "hazy". As I looked out my kitchen window that day, it was very dark but the sun could be seen. It was just a strange feeling to know that it was ash and smoke from the Arnica Fire. What made it all the more strange was to know that my son Willie was on this fire, it was in Yellowstone Park several years ago. At the time I was trying hard to do the Fast Friday Challenges. And of course Willie and his crew, Lewis and Clark Hotshots, are always on my mind this time of year, so it just seemed natural to do a FFFC related to fire.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
|This quilt was once a larger quilt, I did it for the Wyoming State Guild Challenge. I cut it smaller and like it better. The sand is actual sand. I used puff paint and sprinkled sand on it before heating it with a heat gun. The heat gun also melted the tulle that I used as the sea foam. The flip flops are 3 D made from fabric for the bottoms and clay for the tops. Photographer, Kathy Lichtendahl took photos of this quilt for me. I did submit it for a publication but it was not accepted.|
Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Thursday, July 3, 2014
"Gone Wild' is totally thread, with the beads hanging down and off the quilt. I made this quilt for the 2013 Wyoming State Guild Challenge. We had to put a 4 patch in this quilt. I have be critiqued that I chose to put my 4 patch in several of the beads. Not exactly "traditional" but it also said on the challenge rules that we could do a black and white quilt or red and white. That they would give awards to both. This quilt took 2nd place because they did not bother to count the votes separate. If it is 2nd and 1st is red/white, then this is a1st place quilt!!!